Q - Does the City deliver woodchips to the residents? (Woodchip request form with attached photo for dumping on property?

A - Yes, the City does offer free woodchip delivery to Lake Forest residents. Woodchip delivery doesn't occur on an everyday basis, but are typically made on heavy rain days or if one of our tree removal crews are working in your area. The Forestry section will deliver small (4/5 yards) or large (10/12 yards) loads to your property, but will not leave a paved surface to dump. Call to check on availability.

Q - Will the City pick up my unbundled brush at the curb?

A - Yes, the Forestry section does offer special brush pick up's at your curb. Brush/Logs can be brought out to your curb with no size restrictions. Brush pick-ups will be completed within two days of scheduling. There is a $40 minimum fee for this service. Root balls will not be accepted. Please call to schedule a cost consultation.

Q - What determines if a tree is the City's responsibility?

A - Trees that are located in the City's Right of Way are the City's responsibility, however The City Rights of Way can vary depending on the street location. ("link" R.O.W. Map) Typically the City R.O.W is 66' (thirty three feet from the center of the road, both directions).

Q - Do I need a permit to remove a tree on private property?

A - A tree removal permit is needed depending on the size and location of the tree. If the tree is located in your front or side yard and is greater than 10" in diameter, you will need a permit. If the tree is located in your backyard and is 18" or greater, you will need a permit. ("link" to Tree Permit Application and page from the ordinance)

Q - My neighbor's tree is hanging over my property line.

A - The city doesn't get involved in private property issues. If a tree on your neighbor's property is encroaching onto your property, or hanging over the property line, it's best to first talk to your neighbor before any work has taken place. If you feel that the encroaching branches are a hazard you do have the right to prune them as long as pruning is in accordance with ANSI A300 Standards.

Q - Private tree concerns.

A - Damage or dead private trees are the property owner's responsibility. The City doesn't get involved in private property issues. The City recommends residents consult with certified arborists for their private property tree concerns. "link" to IAA or landscaper list"

Q - Who is responsible for brush that hangs over the sidewalk?

A - The Forestry section is responsible for maintaining one hundred miles of sidewalk throughout the City. Sidewalk clearing is necessary not only for resident safety but for the sidewalk snow plows during the winter months. Brush that encroaches the sidewalk from private property trees and shrubs is the homeowner's responsibility.

Q - When is my parkway tree scheduled to be pruned?

A - Tree pruning typically takes place from November through March. The City has set up cyclical zones of tree pruning based on budget and weather related responsibilities. If you feel that your tree needs immediate attention, please call the City Forester 847-810-3564. Request will be addressed based on priority. Resident are not allowed to prune trees that are located on the City's Rights of Way.

Q - When will my tree be replaced? Can I plant my own tree on the City's parkway?

A - The City's tree planting plan "link" helps determines new tree replacement. Tree planting takes place twice a year in the spring and fall. The future budget does determine how soon a tree is replaced. Typically trees are replaced six to twelve months after a tree has been removed if space on the parkway is available. Trees are replaced with 2" diameter to 3" diameter nursery stock. Species are determined based on site location, site conditions, and overall diversity goals. If a resident would like to upgrade to a larger tree, they can do so at their expense through the City's contractor. If a resident would like to plant their own tree on the parkway, they can fill out a permit to perform work on public property "link". Species, size, and location does have to be approved by the City Forester.

Q - Does the City have a Share cost tree planting program?

A - The Forestry section offers a share cost program to residents, which allows those residents that do not already have a parkway tree to split the cost 50/50 with the City. If you are interested in participating in the share cost tree program, please call 847-810-3564.

Q - How do I care for my newly planted parkway tree?

A - The Forestry section will mulch and water the newly planted tree during its first year. Fertilizer is not necessary or recommended in the first two years of establishment. The green watering bag that is placed at the base of the tree when planted will be filled by City crews every seven to ten days during the growing season. Weather will determine supplemental watering throughout the season. "link to tree care"

Q - Does the City have a mosquito abatement program?

A - The City of Lake Forest's mosquito abatement program runs from May thru October with a budget of roughly $18,000. Larvicide is one of our most effective tools in mosquito control and is the primary control measure used to address mosquito larvae in catch basins and standing water. City workers use utility vehicles to drop catch basin tablets, which are extended release over 180 days. Treatment typically takes place around Memorial Day weekend.

The City treats mosquito breeding areas based on tests of larva rather than nuisance complaints. Testing for larvae always precedes treatment. However, the City is still responsive to resident reports of mosquito problem areas. A phone log documents all complaints, to which the City responds within 24 hours, if necessary. Mosquito activities (hatches/elevated positive disease reports) are also monitored on a regular through our vendor Clarke Environmental, which provides regular email updates.

While abatement activities primarily focus on identifying breeding habitats and eliminating mosquitos at the larval stage, the City will occasionally target adult mosquitos if recommended by the Center for Disease Control, due to the increased risk for mosquito-borne diseases like the West Nile virus.